Countdown to Christmas is on, but it never really feels like Christmas until my apartment is filled with the smell of Christmas. For some of you, a fresh cut pine tree does the trick, but for me the ginger molasses cookies coming out the oven is the official marker that Santa is on his way!
While you’re decking the halls, crack Mariah Carey loud, bake these cookies and smell the Christmas spirit!
Colossal Ginger Molasses Cookies
- 1 1/4 cup butter
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup fancy molasses
- 4 cups flour
- 4 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar (for coating)
Assembling the Cookies
- In a stand mixer, combine butter and 2 cups of sugar until smooth. Beat in eggs one at a time – scrapping the bowl down as you go. Stir in molasses.
- In a separate bowl combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger and cloves. Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture until combined.
- Cover dough and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350*. Line cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Roll chilled dough into large balls (2 inch diameter). Coat balls in granulated sugar and soften press tops of the dough balls down. Bake for 12 minutes. Sprinkle cookies, fresh from the oven, with left over sugar and place on wire rack.