The greatest part about sports? Hands down, game over: fan culture. The greatest fan culture in North American sports? Easy, college football.
Stadiums are packed with upwards of tens of thousands decked in their school colours and screaming whatever traditional chant they know. Waiting hours in line with painted faces, custom t-shirts and bristol board signs all in an attempt to be caught on ESPN College Game Day broadcast. It’s. The. Best.
So really this is only fitting snack that matches the outlandish passion of these fans and the essences of the university diet all while celebrating the kicking off the 2018 College Football season. Roll Tide!
Salted Caramel & Chocolate Dipped Chips
- 1 bag Ruffles, plain
- 20 caramel squares
- 2 tbsp whipping cream
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 tbsp shortening
- Coarse sea salt
Assembling the Chips
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place caramels and whipping cream in a microwave safe bowl. Put in microwave for 30 seconds and stir until smooth caramel sauce forms.
- Dip chips into caramel to cover approximately 1/2 the chip and place on parchment paper. Place in freezer or fridge for 10 minutes to cool.
- While caramel dipped chips are cooling, combine shortening and chocolate chips in a bowl. Microwave or double boil on stove top to melt chocolate. Dip caramel chips into chocolate and place back on parchment paper lined cookie sheet. Immediately sprinkle with coarse sea salt.
- Place back in fridge or let sit at room temperature for chocolate to set.