I’ll let you in on the secret of life. It’s pretty simple: try the damn pecan pie!
So you probably think I’m crazy right? How on earth is try the pecan pie the secret to life?
Well here’s the story. I always claimed to hate pecan pie. As a kid, as a teenager, as an early twenty something. “Adele you should try this pecan pie, it’s to die for”, and my response would be “Oh no, I hate pecan pie”. Secret number two of the evening, I was saying this before ever having tasted pecan pie. I just devised in my head that I didn’t like pecan pie and I couldn’t tell you why. Was it the colour? Texture? Heavenly smell? Who knows!
It wasn’t until my younger brother was raving about a pecan pie (about a year ago) and I again claimed I hated pecan pie. Frustrated and confused by my notorious claim, he shoved the plate towards me and said just try the damn pecan pie. And lone behold the pecan pie was the best damn pie I’d ever tasted! All of a sudden I felt like a complete doorknob for having said I hated the pie all these years. No wonder people looked at me like I had twelve heads when I declared my hatred for the nut pie; I didn’t have a clue what I was talking about!
So the truth is, in life and especially during the holidays, you’ve just got to take every opportunity you see coming to try. Whether it’s trying to mend relationships or trying to stay sane; you’ve just gotta try the damn pecan pie because you really don’t know what you’re missing.
Pecan Pie Shortbread Bars
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 2/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 2 tbsp whipping cream
- 2 cups pecans, chopped
Assembling the Bars
- Preheat over to 350*. Line a pie plate with parchment paper.
- In a stand mixture, mix brown sugar and butter until smooth. Gradually add in flour until mixture resembles oatmeal. Press mixture into pie plate and bake for 20 minutes.
- When the crust has 5-7 minutes left to bake begin the topping. In a sauce pan over medium heat melt together whipping cream, butter, brown sugar and maple syrup. Let simmer for 1 minute. Stir in pecans.
- Remove crust from oven. Immediately pour topping over crust covering completely. Bake for 20 minutes, remove from oven and let cool completely.