It’s here! It’s here!! It’s here!!!
Rejoice, it’s the return of Pumpkin Spice Everything Season. Or for the commoner, it is finally Fall!
September 23rd – the first full 24 hours of fall. It is officially acceptable to wear booties, scarfs, and leather jackets and snack or sip on pumpkin spice anything. With that in mind, I beg the question, is there a better way to celebrate the beginning of this magical season than chowing down on a fluffy, sweet and spicy Pumpkin Spice Whoopie Pie!
Pumpkin Spice Whoopie Pie
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
Pumpkin Spice Buttercream
- 1 cup butter softened
- 3-4 cups icing sugar
- 3 tbsp whipping cream
- 2 tbsp pumpkin pudding mix
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
Assembling the Whoopie Pies
- Preheat oven to 350*. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, cream together shortening and sugar. Stir in egg and molasses until combined and smooth.
- Gradually add flour and spices. Mix until dough forms. Chill dough for 1 hour.
- Divide dough and roll into large 2 inch balls. Bake for 8-10 minutes. Cookies will appear very soft, but will set. Let cool completely.
- For the buttercream, whip the butter until light and fluffy. Gradually add in icing sugar, pumpkin pudding powder and spices. Mix in whipping cream as necessary. You do want a stiff buttercream so do not use too much whipping cream.
- Fill a piping bag with buttercream and pipe onto the bottom of one cookie placing another on top to create the Whoopie Pie! Let chill for 30 minutes or eat right away!