“Stay gold, Ponyboy. Stay gold”
It’s the iconic quote from The Outsiders, inspired by Robert Frost’s ‘Nothing Gold Can Stay’, urging Ponyboy to hold onto his youthful innocence. Rebel against the idea that we cannot remain forever oblivious to the harsh realities of life. Do not let the world make you cold, dull and dark.
Robert Frost’s was right; nothing gold can stay. Everything changes. We grow up and life pulls us in different directions with different opinions and different cares. We wake up one day and the world all of a sudden seems darker.
If you find yourself wondering where your youthful innocence went, your sense of wonder, trust, your goldness, you should make this sticky, messy, sugar overdosing cake. You’re still gold, the world is still a good place; make the cake and share it with the people in your life who remind you of those facts.
Stay gold, Ponyboy. Stay gold.
Stay Gold Caramel Ganache Cake
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tbsp baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup vanilla pudding mix
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
Vanilla Butter Cream
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 3 cups icing sugar
- 4-5 tbsp whipping cream
- 1 package vanilla sugar
- 20 Kraft caramels, unwrapped
- 5 tbsp whipping cream
- Caramel popcorn (for garnish)
Assembling the Cake
- Preheat oven to 350*. Spray 3 6inch round cake pans with non-stick spray.
- In a mixter, stir eggs, milk and sugar until combined. Mix in vanilla and oil.
- Gradually add flour and baking powder. Mix until smooth.
- Divide batter into 3 pans and bake for 20-25 minutes. Let cool completely.
- For frosting, whip butter until light and fluffy. Gradually add in icing sugar, whipping cream and vanilla sugar. Mix until combined and fluffy.
- Once cakes have cooled, prepare the ganache. In a microwave safe bowl, microwave the caramels and whipping cream on high for 45 seconds. Stir until thick ganache is created. Let cool slightly.
- Once the ganache has cooled slightly, frost the cakes with buttercream then a layer of ganache. Let cool in fridge for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove cake from the fridge and frost the entire cake with a thick layer of vanilla buttercream. Let cool in fridge again.
- Pour the remaining caramel ganache on top of of the cooled cake. Add caramel popcorn to the top.