Long weekends are a little gift from the calendar gods. Three days off, sun shining, best friends smiling and fireworks.
I’m on the last day of my amazing three day weekend, whereas my American friends and family are just gearing up for a Monday of fireworks filling the skies. School kids and corporate suits alike pack the beaches and the city centres to watch the explosions decorate the sky.
Within the late nights of fireworks there is a certain carelessness that comes with a long weekend. A little later bedtime with a little extra sleep in, a couple more beers and hours in the sun. A time to celebrate life and freedom under then lowing skies.
So whether you’re celebrating the long weekend or just longing for a long weekend – these cookies will be your perfect firework companion.
Long Weekend Firework Cookies
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1 1/2 cups creamy peanut butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup white sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 4 1/2 cups oats
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 cup M&Ms, plain
- 1 cup M&Ms, peanuts
Assembling the Firework Cookies
- Preheat oven to 350 and line cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine butter and peanut butter until smooth. Add in sugars until smooth, and then vanilla and eggs.
- Stir in baking powder and gradually add in oats.
- Fold in chocolate chips and M&Ms.
- Drop scoops (2 tbsp) of very sticky dough onto parchment. Bake for 10 minutes. Let cool.