Have you ever been in a rut and you just need to not be where you are? You’re completely, utterly mundane with the disappointing monotony of going through the motions. Faced with daunting task of moving past a ghosting, all while counting down the last of my days of being 26 proved to be a tad bit more than I could handle. I packed my bags and nearly 6 hours later …
Hello Calgary, Alberta home to beautiful landscapes, fresh air and perhaps most importantly:
Home to the cowboy.
Flying over Alberta seeing the mountains and crystal lakes was instant calm. It’s the comforting feeling of realizing your so small against the world. The bigger picture is so much bigger than you can imagine.
I strolled the calm streets of Stephen Avenue and looked into patios filled with cowboy boots, cowboy hats, laughs and cold beers. I felt like there wasn’t one person in Calgary who wasn’t happy to be exactly where they were. It seemed like everyone was in love with their place in life, their company, their Calgary.
It was decided by me in that moment, Calgary is for lovers. For the hopeless romantics escaping monotony looking for a chivalrous cowboy – a cowboy to take them away, even if it is just for 72hrs jetlagged hours.
Cowboy ‘Take Me Away’ Bars
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup shredded coconut
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cup large flake oats
- 1 1/4 cups chocolate chips
- 1 cup condensed milk, sweetened
Assembling the Bars
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9×13 baking pan with parchment paper.
- In a microwave safe bowl, melt butter, let cool slightly. Combine sugars and pour in slightly cooled butter. Add in vanilla and egg.
- Gradually add flour, cinnamon, and coconut. Fold in oats.
- Press 3/4 of oat mixture into the bottom of the pan. Put remaining oat mixture to the side.
- In a saucepan, melt chocolate and condensed milk. Once completely melted pour over oat mixture. Roll remaining oat mixture into balls, flatten and place on top of chocolate layer.
- Bake for 25 minutes. Let cool completely.