The concept of now and then is funny to think of; we all grow up but look back. I often think about what I would tell myself if I could go back to ‘a then’and shed some light on ‘the now’.
I’d let the Grade 6 Adele know that even though you got a B- in Geometry, things actually worked out. I’d tell my Grade 9 self that you will find an anti-frizz serum and a straightener that really work. And to that wide-eyed university Adele I’d make sure she knew there’s a wonderful, crazy, heartbreaking and glorious world past the late night essay edits and the football stars.
But the most important Adele I’d like to speak to is the kindergarten Adele. I’d hold her hand and fix her mophead ponytail and I’d tell her, “Never underestimate the power of the people you meet in kindergarten. These friends sitting crossed-legged in a semi-circle with you right now are the people who will drop everything, no matter where you are in the world, to be with you when you need them. Their smiles will make you feel like you’re 4 again sitting in this circle being told you can eat s’mores at snack time. And when you need them the most, when your whole world feels like it’s falling apart, these kids right here will be the ones that hug you so tight all your falling pieces will come back together. I promise you, in your weakest moments they will make you whole again. Because of them you’re going to be ok; it is all for one, one for all.”
Have s’mores kid, you deserve it.
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (additional)
- 1 1/2 cups mini marshmallows
- 1 cup chopped graham crackers
Assembling the Brownies
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line 9×13 pan with parchment paper.
- In a sauce pan over medium heat, melt butter 1 cup of chocolate chips. Once melted pour into large bowl and let cool slightly.
- Whisk sugars into the cooled chocolate mixture. Add eggs and vanilla. Gradually fold fold in flour, and cocoa powder. Add in additional 1/2 cup of chocolate chips.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Remove from oven add marshmallows, graham crackers and remaining chocolate chips. Bake for 45 seconds. Let cool.
- Once cooled, spray sharp knife with spray to cut through brownies without disturbing the gooey marshmallow top.