Well it is here: January. It’s cold, I mean the bitter, hurts your face, never-going-to-get-warm-again cold. Okay, I’ll admit it, I love winter. I enjoy the cold, but not this. And if a Wednesday back into the full swing of work and the sub-zero temperatures don’t have you dreaming of summer and sun and all things hot (like Olaf), then you can just stop reading right now. There is nothing better on a sweltering hot day than the refreshing taste of citrus, and the taste of August in a raspberry.
So here’s to remembering when we complained about sweltering heat.
Lemon Cupcakes and Raspberry Buttercream
Yields 16 Cupcakes
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup butter, melted
- 1 ¼ cups sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoon lemon zest
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 1 cup butter, softened
- ¼ cup shortening
- 2 tbsp whipping cream
- 4 cups icing sugar
- 1 cup of raspberries
Assembling the Cupcakes:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cupcake tins with liners.
- Mix melted butter with sugar. Add eggs and beat in vanilla extract, lemon juice, and zest.
- Combine flour and baking powder. Gradually add to wet mixture.
- Divide mixture into cupcake pan. Bake for 16 minutes. Let cool completely.
- Cream together butter and shortening.
- Gradually add 1 cup icing sugar.
- Add whipping cream and remainder of icing sugar.
- Stir in raspberries. Place in piping bag and pipe onto cooled cupcakes.