Eleanor Roosevelt wrote “No one can make you feel inferior without your consent”. I was probably 8 when I first heard that quote recited in Princess Diaries and it remains one of the most powerful statements in my life.
I grew up with brothers and I previously spent 4 years working in an ‘old boys club’. I know what it is like to be a woman living in a world built by men for men. I quickly learned despite the injustice I would not allow this to stop me because I was raised by a woman who told me I could do anything. There was no such thing as girl jobs vs boy jobs, girl sports vs boy sports. My mom never let ‘being a girl’ fly as an acceptable excuse for me to not excel. My mother has filled her life with strong, kind, fashionable, and independent women who have raised young women like myself to never allow others to have the power to doubt ourselves and our abilities. My mother and her band of friends shatter glass ceilings and refuse to allow their daughters to do anything less than continue to shatter ceilings. When strong women empower other women the limit does not exist.
This recipe is dedicated to the Queen moms out there who both taught and showed their Princess daughters that Eleanor Roosevelt was right when she said “No one can make you feel inferior without your consent”. Thanks mom.
Princess Sugar Cookie Bars
- 1 cup butter, cold
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup butter
- 4 cups icing sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 package vanilla pudding
- 3 tbsp whipping cream
- 1 tsp magenta food colouring, optional
- 1/4 cup sprinkles
Assembling the Bars
- In a stand mixer, whip butter until fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, mixing to combine.
- Mix in sugar until completely combined. Add vanilla.
- Gradually add flour until combined. Dough will be very sticky.
- Press dough evenly into pan. Bake for 30 minutes. Remove and let cool completely.
- While sugar cookie base is cooling, begin buttercream by whipping butter until fluffy.
- Add vanilla pudding powder and vanilla extract.
- Gradually add icing sugar alternating with whipping cream.
- If desired, add food colouring and mix until smooth.
- Spread thick layer of buttercream onto cookie bars. Add sprinkles. Regfrigerate for 1 hour.