Is there any better way to spend a lazy evening before the holidays than watching Christmas specials of your favourite shows? I mean come on, there’s Seth Cohen’s ‘Christmakuh’, Blair Waldorf’s giant candy canes, and Phil Dunphy on an elliptical!
And while I believe there is no better way to spend your holiday evening, I also believe there is no better treat to indulge in than the perfect, warm, sugary cinnamon roll! The buttery smell of cinnamon and pastry filling your house pairs perfectly with the calamity of Ross Gellar’s ‘Holiday Armadillo‘.
These are the perfect addition to your evening of Yuletide bliss that can double as mid-morning treat the next day.
Yuletide Bliss Cinnamon Rolls
Yield 12 Rolls.
Recipe slightly adapted from Top Secret Recipes
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm buttermilk
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup margarine (THIS IS THE GAME CHANGER: Margarine not Butter)
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 4 cups flour
- 1 1/4 cups packed brown sugar
- 5 tbsp cinnamon
- ⅓ cup margarine, softened
Cream Cheese Icing
- 6 tbsp margarine
- 1½ cups powdered sugar
- ¼ cup cream cheese
- ½ tsp vanilla
Assembling the Rolls
- Dissolve the yeast in warm buttermilk in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, mix sugar, butter. Add eggs one at a time.
- Altenate mixing in portion of flour and milk/yeast until a smooth dough is created.
- Knees the dough by hand.
- Place dough in a greased bowl. Cover and let rise in a warm place for one hour.
- On a floured surface roll out dough until 1/4 inch thick.
- Spread 1/4 cup of margarine on dough. Sprinkle brown sugar and cinnamon to cover the entire dough.
- Carefully roll the dough very tightly length-wise.
- Cut the dough 1 1/2 inch slices. Place in greased 9×13 inch pan. Cover and place in warm room for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven 350*F
- Bake for 22 minutes or until slightly golden.
- While the rolls are baking make the icing by mixing all ingredients and beat well with an electric mixer until fluffy.
- When the rolls are done, drizzle with icing.
Do you have a favourite TV Christmas special?