I’m back and it’s my favourite month of the year! 2018 has been a year of life changes and challenges and I couldn’t be happier to be standing where I am in life ready to kick off the 2018 holidays with a super easy, rolled sugar cookie recipe. Life’s complicated enough, so take a break from untangling the Christmas lights and bake these no fuss, all fun cookies!
Now before you go thinking I’m some master at cookie decorating, those cookies you see in the photo took me nearly 5 hours to decorate (not bake, DECORATE). If it wasn’t for the patience and amazing teaching of Create By Ro my shaky hands and I would be hopeless in the cookie decorating game! Don’t be deterred, just have fun, and when all else fails add lots of white icing and sugar and call it snow!
- 1 1/2 cups butter, softened
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 5 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 3 tbsp Wilton meringue powder
- 4 cups icing sugar
- 4-5 tbsp warm water
- Colouring of your choice
Assembling the Cookies
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Stir in the flour, and baking powder until dough forms. Cover, and chill dough for one hour or overnight.
- Once dough is chilled, preheat oven to 400* F. Roll out dough on flouredare. Cut into shapes with any cookie cutter. Place cookies on parchment paper lined sheets.
- Bake 6 to 7 minutes. Let cool completely before making icing.
- Once the cookies have cooled you can begin making the icing. Combine icing ingredients and stir until icing has a glue like texture. Add colour of choice. Transfer icing into piping bag and pipe onto cookies. Let set for 4 hours or overnight.